Tuesday 26 February 2013

Week 7..or 6...whatever week it is

It's been quiet times as of late here in paradise. Ha, paradise. I forgot it rains forever in paradise, but seriously. It has not stopped raining since that cyclone came through (If you don't know what I'm talking about, go back and read previous posts....now). I know what you are thinking though, surely you must be exaggerating a bit Chris. I'm not. The sun came out for most of the day this past Saturday, but sure enough the rain came through without fail. Anyyyywho, enough complaining, I am after all in Australia. Like I said, not a lot has been going on around here as of late. We are about half-way through the semester and lots and lots of projects have been due, hence the lack of a blog update. Don't worry though, I am here to make every ones life a million times better with another classic Chris blog post.

Saturday was really the only day of any excitement. At night I attended an Australian Football game. Interestingly enough, I have never in my life been to a NFL game, and now I have managed to go to an AFL game before ever going to a NFL game. Doesn't make much sense to me, especially seeing as I want to be a sports broadcaster/journalist when I am older, but I digress. The game was pretty entertaining from an American perspective. I had to have the rules explained to me as the game went on, but I got a good grasp  after a while and it became quite enjoyable. The one aspect of the game that I really liked was the fact the play NEVER stopped except for halftime and the end of the game. Even when one of the players legs exploded from a tackle the play still continued while he was ushered off the field. It was the best way to experience AFL as it was a round robbin of sorts where 3 teams all played each other in shortened 40 minute games as opposed to the usual 80 minute games. I was told to root for the Gold Coast Suns who churned out a win in the first game, which ultimately,  proved to be the most exciting. The game was tied and it was coming down to the final seconds when one of the Hawthorne Hawks players tackled one of the GC Suns players as the clock expired. The only thing was, the Suns player didn't have the ball when he was tackled which constitutes in a free kick for the Suns from just outside the 50 meter arch. I know most people won't know what any of that means, but just go with it. Anyways, there are three posts set up at the ends of the field in which kicking the ball in-between the outer posts results in 1 point, while kicking it in-between the inner posts results in 6 points. With the game tied and no time left on the clock the Suns only need 1 point for the win and sure enough Freddy Fitzgerald (made that name up) came through in the clutch. The next 2 games proved to be blowouts for the Brisbane Somethings, but none the less it was still enjoyable.

Saturday during the day proved to be a very fun day as well as I participated in an event called the Bondi 500. Yea I did Saturday night before the day, I don't care, it's my blog and I do what I want. This event was basically a cross between the Amazing Race and a scavenger hunt all throughout the Gold Coast. In teams of 4 you were to go around the Gold Coast collecting all sorts of different things from road kill to suspenders all the while participating in different challenges. At the first station we had to paddle and inflatable boat across the pool. The second station consisted of hitting a golf ball a mere 50 yards which was quite easy and it allowed for me to show off my mean slice. The third station was at an aerobics gym where we actually had to learn poll dancing moves.  Believe it or not it is extremely difficult to do and is quite the workout. The next station was a rock climbing station in which we were informed a team had already finished the race and took the grand prize. Obviously this altered our strategy to trying to obtain as much scavenger hunt points as possible. This lead us to McDonalds, AKA Maccas, and trying to persuade the employees to sing the Australian National Anthem for us...we failed. So, instead we had a delicious lunch and moved on. The rest of the day resulted in many other scavenger hunt shenanigans and we returned to the University feeling pretty good about our chances of winning the scavenger hunt prize. We lost. By over 1,00 points. However, our team got the honorable mention for our spirit and efforts (the feel good award) and won free entry into the event next year. You're welcome to whoever takes my spot.

That pretty much sums up the last two weeks. Shout out to Charlie Ross (an Aussie mate who turned 20 on sunday), Happy Birthday bud. Tomorrow is a big day as it is off to Sydney for the Mardi Gras festivities which should be the grandest of times and will surely result in another excellent tale in Chris' Super Fantastic Blog so stay tuned!


No comments:

Post a Comment